Saturday, May 17, 2008

Is the Republican Party Dead? (Edited)

This weeks news was partly dominated by stories that Republicans are losing seats in the House and Senate. Stories about how the Republicans had "moved away from their core values", and had "lost their way" and "had not delivered what they promised".
Is this supposed to be a new revelation!?!
I had been a life long Republican and changed parties five years ago over exactly that fact. Republicans did not even come close to delivering what they promised. The fact is the Republican party clothed itself in "Christian values", and being "pro-family" and favoring "small government". However, after they came into majority power, they delivered the opposite. The actions of the Republicans including the impeachment and legal hounding of Bill Clinton, to torture, and an unprovoked war have been anything but Christ like. Of course, they have the gall to argue otherwise.
Opposing health insurance to the poor, and paid time off for new mothers; is frankly, anti family. Last, the Military Tribunal Act, and Patriot Act have been the biggest power grab in the history of the country, setting the stage for fascism or worse. Not to mention the tone of "big government" by getting involved with the Terri Schiavo case. We should all be outraged.
So I became a Democrat. I'm still pro life, but I do agree with much of their agenda.
I have a prediction (or is it just a concern?), which I hope does not happen... When the Democrats find themselves in power (as they will very soon), they will engage in the same shenanigans as the Republicans did, passing all their own crazy bills and hounding the Republicans politically. At that point I will quit the Democratic party and join my friend Sean as a "Cynical Independent"... :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Jay@Soob said...

If the recent shift in congressional power is any indication I'm afraid your prediction will likely come true.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Healthcare for all is a public good - the Democrats seem to be the only ones - warts and all - that get this - if they can't deliver, then I will be a bit disappointed.

8:07 AM  
Blogger sameasthem said...

They have some pet issues like the the Republicans do. (Abortion, and the NEA, to name a couple) I just don't want to see them go nuts.

The reason I left the Republican party (showed them, huh!) was partially health care; and also the fact that under Republican rule we lost civil rights, (Patriot, and M. Tribunal Acts...I read em, I wonder if my congress man did); and we have MORE, not less Federal Government in our daily lives, (No Child Left Behind, etc.) Last, the tax cuts turned out to be a shell game...I had other taxes go up as a result (local, property, etc.) Just an observation.
Thanks for the comment.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you've passed over to the dark side. The only thing Democrats do better than Republicans is WHINE LOUDER.

8:36 AM  
Blogger sameasthem said...

You can't be serious, after Limbaugh, and Coulter...who are whiny as well as cruel! (Another reason I left!)
If you really think it through, you would leave also. They lied to us so many times! They play on fear. People are actually afraid to vote Democrat. It's a great job at manipulation, then doing the opposite of what they profess. Think it through...really.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many Democrats drive their SUVs to work and whine about the oil companies?

10:57 AM  
Blogger sameasthem said...

I do...one so far.

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home