Saturday, February 28, 2009

What do you think?

Thought control...has been on my mind lately. We may look back someday and see that we were the most manipulated generation in history. I remember the first time I learned how advertisers manipulated us into thinking a certain way...even to believe we need something I could easily go without. It was in an English class...but that is beside the point.

The stunning thing is how widespread the mind controllers have become. How can we keep thinking for ourselves? And how can we teach our kids to think for themselves?
It's not only advertisers, and politicians...we now have news casters, musicians, actors, and other entertainers, even employers (mine uses some obvious, and some subtle methods to keep me where they want me to be)...I note it is not always to reach for my greatest potential either, although at other times it is...don't leave out teachers, and preachers (esp. at the mega churches)...are they really encouraging following Christ, or just completing some personal agenda? (I know, I know...personal agenda has a place at times...fine...but what if it gets to be the main thing? (City of Faith))

How would one discern that? We can! We should!
Check I Thes. 5:21 (one of my favorites).

I tell my kids to apply the smell test...does this claim really make sense? How do the claims (even if eloquently stated) stack up to what you know is true?
People who want to tell you what to think will deal in generalities, (and associate them with greed, ambition, adventure, and fear)...but what are the specifics? Do they stack up? I heard some talking head the other day say the new Obama budget was "risky, and radical"...ok, maybe so, (I haven't read it...I wonder if they had) but why do they say this (specifically)? And can they back up those specifics? What is particularly insidious is whenever ideas, are associated with money, and power; which is often. I think the health care debate is really about money and power, and we all get fed a lot of BS while nothing improves.

So, if you haven't stopped reading this ramble, thanks...since I've been thinking about it I thought I'd stick it in my blog...I wonder if I can get my kids to read it? jk...I won't do that...maybe... :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger The Ponderer said...

Your posts always make me think. I appreciate this. We are thinking along the same lines these days. Be sure and check out my post of this morning.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

On my way there now!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home