Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Hey Conservatives...!

Yesterday Republicans won a majority in Congress, and considerably more seats in the Senate. These were, in some cases won by extremely conservative politicians. This victory was achieved with a strategy of opposing anything proposed by the current administration, and brilliant use of the media. It has been such an effective strategy that the Republicans intend to continue it. They have said they will not compromise on any issue going forward. Mitch McConnell said the number one objective of the Republican party the next two years is to see that Obama is a one term president. So in a sense, the Republican platform is simply to acquire power...period...no ideas, no proposals, just acquire power. And if the response the Democrats have made to this so far does not change, the strategy will work. In two years (2012) the Republicans will have control of both houses, and the presidency. Goal achieved...However, what will they do with that power? No one knows what things will be like two years from now, so maybe a better question is what would they have done with that power if they had it the last two years? I have heard many conservatives say they would have liked to see GM, and Chrysler go bankrupt, and the same for most banks in this country. (ie no bailouts). They would not have agreed to a government economic stimulus save some tax incentives (if that) as I understand it. And I suppose we would have built a 20 foot wall across the Mexican border, and stepped up military operations around the world.

My question is, if those things had occurred, what do you think our country would look like? Does our place in the world community look better in that scenario? Does our international reputation even matter? How about your personal situation...what would that look like? Better? I'm curious, do you conservative friends of mine think we would be past our current problems? Or not?

Let me know, but I must say if I get comments that are demeaning to me personally, or demeaning to any group of people for that matter, I'll delete them. (I have not been demeaning here...I'm not even picking a fight...I'm not...really.)


.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Charlie III said...

I fear for the U.S. - no have taxes on the table is a recipe for disaster - can't support old people, the military, and social security in all its forms without additional revenue

5:30 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Did you see Bernanke on Friday? He called outright for more federal stimulus...I think he sees something down the pike...like deflation, or worse. He said, unless Congress acts (they wont) we are looking at many more years of high unemployment.
Now the GOP is fighting the tax compromise, and even the Arms Treaty...
I am concerned too. The GOP learned that just saying no wins elections (which is all they care about) so that is what they will do...
I am supposed to send you a book (Title IOU) which has what seems to be the logical conclusion of this chapter in American history
(you wont like it)...But wont it cost me a small fortune to send it?
IDK...dad sent it to me to send to you...

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home