Friday, January 12, 2007

Wandering Thoughts

I'm reading The Pentagons New Map, by Tom Barnett. He is some think tank guy in the government. Sean, who comments here a lot (thanks for the comments Sean!) works for him and recommended the book. I've really enjoyed the read. He spells out the worlds security problems from a different point of view. He integrates globalization, and economic clout with the problems of isolation, terror and national security. He is able to show how, when, and why we end up in situations like Iraq. What intrigues me most is how he distills the problems of humanity to a basic few. It got me thinking, what is the basic problem for humanity? Is it poverty, or lack of education, isolation, or religion? Sure these are all problems, but what if I had to choose one? Hmmm. Dr. Barnett argues that the basic problem is isolation. Very compelling; however, I still need to finish the book. Could there be a problem more basic than isolation? Could it be a spiritual problem? Is that to ethereal? Like I said...wandering thoughts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean Meade said...

i agree with you that Tom does not take enough account of spiritual problems you and i would agree on. but the ones he does account for, i think he does awfully well ;-)

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home