Saturday, August 02, 2008

The Big Issue!! To me, at least right now...

No, not abortion...education. Let's face it, our public schools are a dinosaur. I have three kids. We have had them in public, private, and home schools. The public schools, and any parent can verify this...first, set up a confrontive, antagonistic relationship with parents. Second, they care about process and policy more that anything else. Pay close attention the next time your kid has problems, or gets into trouble at a public school. You won't get that attitude (antagonism, and a dogmatic commitment to policy) at a private school, or charter school...why is that? You have a choice as to weather to be there. The parents remain positively, and meaningfully involved. So I support school choice. Right now, we have somewhat antiquated, unionized public schools. Have you ever been at a grocery store which was unionized? Compare that to the one which is not...and you will get.......what?.....better customer service! That is, less antagonism. This is a touchy subject, because unions play a crucial role in representing those of us who have no power to those who do, so I support them, but not if they go past their primary function, and dictate policy and process, which is what the NEA has done. Sad but true. The only good answer that I know at this point is school choice. It would force public school reform. The pro choice candidate happens to be John McCain....Hmmm, I'm an Obama backer....this is a really big deal to me...would McCain deliver? I kind of doubt it. Would I choose a President based on one issue? I know a girl who always votes pro choice (abortion, not education)...one issue as all that matters to her...I think that is weird, and short sighted.
By the way, has anyone noticed that neither candidate plans to deliver universal heath? The insurance companies win for now...long term they won't, they can't...the system will crumble. It's a joke...but I'll save that for another post. I think I'll remain an Obama backer for now...I see him as a practical individual, but I'll check exactly what he thinks about education...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, the problem in the Education system is systemic (top to bottom) starting with parents who don't discipline, give direction, or support their own children (I am not accusing you of this, simply my experience in education). I don't know many professions where you have to worry about being beaten up and then be sued by the parents! (police do, but at least they have guns and tazers
:-)

The problem with school choice is that it seems to me it screws the poor (unless I am missing something - which wouldn't be the first time) - even with credits, vouchers, etc.. they still don't have the money to send their kids elsewhere

6:51 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Yeah, I know what you're saying. And you know what you're talking about...since you're an educator!! :-)

I think a choice solution could include poor if they flat out paid for their choice. I know the issue is complicated; however, if choice was correctly, and fairly implemented I think it would lead to some very positive reform including the NEA resuming their original role, as well as more proactive, less combative schools. As for parents who don't give a shit, or are just ignorant, bad parents, that is another problem altogether; however connected to this one.
Bottom line, I don't think McCain would do much with this if elected. That's just my feel, so I'm still backing Obama...and exercising as much "educational choice" as I can afford. You know, using all the options and opportunities that are available to me. More parents should consider it, and many already do. Check options, create options, all that....

so is this a comment or a post? Yow!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Sean Meade said...

Jim, i certainly agree with your analysis. let us know what you find out about Obama's education platform.

school choice could include the poor, but it would take a lot of work and probably short-change the poor in the short term. long term the argument is choice would make for better public schools, but they're pretty resistant to change...

thankfully, we're in a good school for now...

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home