Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Ten Reasons Not to Join the Military

I'm reading a short book by this title. This is because I have a son, as well as a nephew who want to enlist someday. It would be a big decision, and I would want them to have both eyes open. And this book is quite eye opening! Not only the obvious, (killing and being killed) but I did not know that military enlistment contracts are binding on the recruit, but not binding on the government! So, a military recruiter can say almost anything they like. The enlistment contract states, "Laws and regulations that govern military personnel may change without notice to me. Such changes may affect my status, pay, allowances, benefits, and responsibilities." I've signed employment contracts, and I would sure not sign one with that language! The last reason the book discusses is that there are other alternatives if you want to serve your country, or even have involvement with the military that don't require enlistment.