Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sadie moves to the front of the class.


Sadie is my Great Dane. I took her for a walk last night around the pond. A flood retention pond, Rob...not like your pond/lake :-).
It was after dark. A nice evening for a walk. Then about half way around (the pond) a girl asked if we could use Sadie as "bait"...Huh?

Just then her dog (a 1 yr old puppy), who was off leash, and not intending to go back on leash ran by...Sadie popped her head out of her collar and off they ran...OMG. What I was thinking is this...She is off collar, and has a dog to run with and....ducks, lots of ducks...this is not good. So this girl is apologizing to me, and telling me how her boy friend is on the way...I didn't really know what to say to her...but I asked if I could try one thing...I would tell Sadie to "sit", in a firm, stern tone.

IT WORKED! She sat down, and waited for me to walk to where she was and slip the collar back on...this with the other dog running around her (and me) and don't forget the ducks...actually the ducks had decided not to wait around. But...Sadie was IMPRESSIVE!

Just then the boy friend showed up. And he would not acknowledge my presence...ok...I'll be going then.

Sadie moves to the front of the class in my book. She gets more freedom, and trust from me...she is free to join me in more trips, if she likes..all that...
GOOD, SMART DOG!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sean Meade said...

good job, Sadie :-)

5:31 AM  
Blogger The Ponderer said...

I had a lab mix in the 90's that I was able to leave off the leash. I think it had something to do with the fact that as a pup I let her in the front yard with me while I was spreading a truck load of dirt (over a 2 week period) as I leveled the front yard. She had dirt to play in and never wandered off. From that time on she always stayed close. I miss her.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

That's what we do with dogs...take them out w/o a leash when they are young...and scold them if they get in the street...it still boils down to the dogs intelligence, and temperment though.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home