Monday, August 17, 2009

Insurance companies rule...

I have kept quiet about this issue. I could not stand the negative (hateful, irrational) atmosphere surrounding the discussion. I am even a little uneasy about saying anything now, although the core issue/solution is dead anyway. The public (government) option is gone. That should make a lot of people happy...no death squads, or bureaucrats getting between us and our doctors...

But I have a prediction...five years from now...maybe sooner, we will all see this was wrong...and that a government option was not evil...we will also, in retrospect realize that this bill (I make this prediction w/o a final bill even being written...because it's obvious where this is going)...this (currently unwritten) bill will have accomplished very little (helping the uninsured, policy potability, cost containment), and will have been a huge money grab for the insurance companies...

Last, in the next five years many, many of us will experience what it is like to be locked out of health care due to job changes, and costs...you and me (the middle aged) will flat not be able to afford coverage...

Shout me down if you like...but I'll be back with this in five years...or less.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Charles Aldag said...

I am under socialized medicine and I love it!

I feel very sad for the tunnel vision, short-sighted, and sadly ignorant view of some Americans. I wish the U.S. could join the rest of the industrialized world and provide affordable health care for their citizens. Sadly, I don't think is going to happen - too many people are frogs in the pot and will discover too late that they have been duped by private insurance.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Sean Meade said...

yeah, i have kept pretty quiet about this, too. don't want to stand once again at the violent nexus between conservatives and liberals ;-)

observation: just like the campaign, we are totally talking past one another. there is very little dialogue. both sides are guilty.

it's all so complicated, it's hard to sort out. you could very well be right about the public option.

re: Charlie's point: have read some about how socialized medicine works in Canada, UK, Switzerland, the differences and how it's not as bad as the right says. seems reasonable to me.

some of the right's criticisms are legit, but where was their cost-fighting during Bush II?

9:40 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Do you see any country with socialized medicine trying to change to our system?

Not even close, but we get fed this bill of goods about how superior we are...and who benefits from this? Big Ins, big pharma, and lawyers...not you and me.

So...

Thanks for the comment Sean...I thought Obama gave a real effort to get all sides to the table. Call him naive but he tried...I applaud him...and think he should keep trying.

If there is another option that is better than the govt run plan, great...but now any one of us can lose our insurance permanently if we change jobs, and develop a medical condition at the same time...

And costs are crazy...I pay plenty if I go to the doc since my company decided not to cover anything in our plan...A kid goes in with a broken finger and I'm out $200...God help me if someone actually gets sick!

Med costs are the number one cause of bankruptcy in this country (and no other country)...that's not right....I'm rambling now...that's all.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous CharlieIII said...

I broke my leg in two places in Taiwan and the ER care cost me $7 including drugs.

The care was the same I would have gotten in the states - also, I got everything X-ray, cast, consult, drugs, in 35 minutes.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Do you have death squads Charlie?
Obama wants death squads you know...

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home